Tuesday, November 13, 2007

SCC Concert

Last night Jon and I had a night out without the kids (Thanks Grammy and thanks to my pastors for being cool with me missing a Leadership Team Meeting so I could enjoy this night out)! We went with Kyle & Kim and Bethany & Q to see Steven Curtis Chapman. I have been a big SCC fan since high school when his album "More to this Life" came out. Jon and I have a lot of memories tied to SCC music - hearing any song from "The Great Adventure" or "Heaven in the Real World" takes us back to Pills (college) in a second! I always think of Scott Leffler singing "Saddle Up Your Horses" in the cafeteria or of blasting that CD in my dorm room with Bethany! We also went to the "Signs of Life" concert when we lived in AL in '96 and any of those songs take us back to that time in our lives. His "Music of Christmas" CD is a favorite we have to play every year when we're putting up our tree. We only saw him in concert that one time in '96 (wow - 11 years ago!) and haven't bought any of his albums since "Speechless" in '99 - I was just looking on his web site and saw that he's put out 7 albums since we last bought one - geez, time goes fast when you're buying a house and having babies!! Anyway, it was so cool to be at this concert because his two sons are on tour with him. His 18 year old son Caleb plays the guitar and sings backup and his 16 year old son Will Franklin plays the drums - he is amazing! Bethany and I got our picture with him and I was telling him to not be afraid of the 30 year old groupies :-) It was really a great concert - both entertaining and spiritually challenging. SCC has a great heart for adoption - he has adopted 3 little girls from China and he has such a passion to help the orphans of the world. Hearing him talk about adoption reminded me again of how proud I am of my brother and his wife - they felt called to adopt a little boy from Ethiopia and last year in December they traveled over there and brought Caleb home - he has been such a joy to our family!

2 comments:

The Lowerys said...

I love SCC too! We went to one of his concerts a couple of years ago and they also had Chris Tomlin perform, it was one of the best concerts I've been to!

Renee said...

Dawn, I'm so glad you were able to go out to see him in concert! What a blessing... He's so great.
Glad you had fun!!!